Well this post was a long time coming. I did mean to post as we went along with the year but just didn’t keep up with it. Unfortunately due to health issues our year actually took far longer than it should have. Luckily Terror was actually a “year ahead” and I am not concerned. We will figure things out as we move forward. Here are a few highlights of our year of potions (and herbology). Some of the experiments turned out well, others not so much.
Volcano in a bottle turned out great
clear slime was not so successful, it stayed way too sticky.
growing a crystal went well.
Ice chalk turned out pretty cool.
“Cleaning Pennies” did not work as well as we hoped.
We also struggled with making rainbow paper.
magic milk painting was fun
we grew spaghetti squash for a while but they didn’t transition outside well.
Laundry detergent slime was fun to play with for a while but it didn’t store well, it separated and hardened. Monster Blood was the best slime we made.
I was very happy with the history program I pieced together. I was able to find books on both the history of witchcraft (the persecution of witches, the witch hunt phenomenon, and how it effected trial law) and on the history of stage magic. I utilized Word Wizardry for writing and Terror enjoyed it. I was able to find many Hogwarts themed math units on TeachersPayTeachers and utilized those. So, despite the year running longer than I wanted it to I think it was a success. I am planning another theme year which I will post about soon.