I know some people prefer to limit screen time, or avoid it altogether. While I do try to keep media consumption under control, particularly video games, we do enjoy watching TV and movies together as a family. Finding family friendly Halloween and Horror/Scary movies has been a challenge. I have compiled a list of some our family enjoys.
- The Worst Witch (this is an oldie, there is a TV series too but it is harder to find)
- Witches (Rahld Dahl classic)
- Goose Bumps (the new movie)
- The Boy Who Cried Werewolf (this is a family favorite)
- It’s the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown
- The Little Vampire
- Vampire Dog (Tim thought this was silly but the boys loved it)
- Mostly Ghostly (all of them)
- Ichabod Crane (the Disney movie, my boys adore it)
- Wishbone’s Halloween
- The Dog who Saved Halloween
This was my favorite movie when I was a child. I dressed as a witch for Halloween several years in a row. My best friend and I used to put on capes and jump off of my swingset trying to “fly” on our brooms.
Disney has some original movies that are also great for Halloween
- Halloweentown (my personal favorite)
- Halloweentown II
- Halloweentown High
- Return To Halloweentown
- Don’t Look Under the Bed
- Scream Team
- Tower of Terror
- Phantom of the Megaplex
- Girl vs Monster
- My Mom has a Date with a Vampire
- Under Wraps
- My Babysitter’s a Vampire (also a series)
- Invisible Sister (this is just ok in our opinion)
Just isn’t Halloween without watching Halloweentown. Melon has his room decorated for Halloween year round, he says he lives in Halloweentown.
My kids are older these days at 15 and soon to be 11. While they still enjoy some very childish movies like Charlie Brown and even Clifford they also enjoy some slightly more mature selections. These are “parental guidance” type movies.
- Van Helsing (a favorite monster movie here)
- Lost Boys
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer (yes the old movie, I’m a nerd)
Before Vampires sparkled
There are also some horror genre TV series we enjoy.
- Are you Afraid of the Dark
- Goose Bumps
- Haunting Hour
- Growing Up Creepie (this is super fun and appropriate for younger kids)
- Ruby Gloom
- Dead Time Stories (be careful, there is a movie that has nothing to do with the series)
I am sure I missed some great movies and series, either because we haven’t seen them yet or I just forgot them. Are your favorites on my list?